Eye Examination

The key to good vision is a regular eye examination. It is recommended that you visit an optometrist every two years or more frequently if advised. During an eye examination we assess your vision and aim to maximise your visual function with spectacles or contact lenses as required. Detecting signs of ocular and systemic disease or abnormality, such as cataract, glaucoma, macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy to name but a few is also of paramount importance as early detection and treatment greatly improves the outcome.

Digital retinal photography takes a high resolution photograph of the back of the eye providing a lasting record of ocular health which may be compared year on year. Most patients at the Saintfield Road Practice will have this carried out, whilst those Comber patients requiring the service may travel to the Saintfield Road Practice.

Following an eye examination we will offer advice regarding spectacles, contact lenses, visual needs and when necessary refer patients for specialist medical treatment.

Certain groups of people are eligible for help with the cost of their eye examination and/or the cost of their spectacles. If you are in one of the following categories:

  • aged under 16
  • aged 16, 17 or 18 and are in full-time education
  • aged 60 or over
  • registered as partially sighted (sight impaired) or blind (severely sight impaired)
  • diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
  • aged 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma
  • have been advised by an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) that you’re at risk of glaucoma
  • eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher – your optometrist (optician) can advise you about your entitlement

You are also entitled to an NHS sight test if you:

  • receive Income Support
  • receive Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (not Contribution-based)
  • receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • receive Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • you are named on a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)

People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help.



Call or contact us by using the detail in the Contact Us Page.